Version: B with modifications
Fabric: wool suiting
Notions: invisible zipper; hock and eye
Instructions: just fine
Modification: raised neckline; turned bias; no pockets; no flounce
Recommend: yes, particular with an adjusted neckline
The moment my first Simplicity 1877 was finished, I wanted to make another version out of wool with a higher neckline. I finally accomplished that goal and am very pleased with the results. I did make a few changes to "simplify" the design. For starters, I raised the neckline about three inches, which makes the dress a bit more comfortable to wear because the original neckline hit very low on/between the bust. I finished off the neck and sleeves with the provided bias binding, but turned the entire strip inside and slip-stitched in place. As far as other deviations, I removed the pockets and flounce.
The dress turned out like I wanted, but I really must recommend lining the bodice. French seams worked wonderfully for the skirt, but the top is a bit messy. I would also recommend reinforcing the pleats in the front with interfacing. The pleats on this dress seem to pull and sag since the wool has a drape. They would be a bit more happy with support. A waist stay, bra strap guides, and raised bodice side seams are also an excellent idea also! None of which I did.